A favorite among traditional marine industry professionals, Pettit's Z-Spar Captain's Varnish is highly regarded for its reliable service, versatile application, outstanding gloss retention, and tough yet flexible durability. Captain's is considered by its many users to be the most durable varnish ever offered to the boating trade.
- Suitable for the highest quality work, with outstanding results and all-around durability
- Combines phenolic and alkyd resins with tung and linseed oils to provide excellent performance
- Warm, light amber hue enhances a classic bright work appearance
- Provides outstanding gloss retention with the added bonus of UV protection
- Extremely durable finish that is easy to apply
- Resin: Alkyd/ Phenolic
- Oil: Linseed/Tung
- Oil length: 20 gals.
- UV Absorbers: Present
- Solids (theoretical):
- By weight: 55 ± 1%
- By volume: 48 ± 1%
- Coverage: 585 sq. ft/gal.
- VOC: 410 g/l (3.5 lbs/gal) as supplied
- Flash point: 105° F
- Method: Brush or spray
- Number of coats:
- Bare wood: 4 minimum
- Existing varnish: 2 minimum
- Dry film thickness per coat: 1.5 mils (3.1 wet mils)
- Application temp: 45° F. Min. / 90°F. Max.
- Dry time (in hours):
- 90°: 1-3 set-to-touch, 3-5 tack free, 8-12 dry hard
- 70°: 2-4 set-to-touch, 5-7 tack free, 12-20 dry hard
- 50°: 4-8 set-to-touch, 12-16 tack free, 24-48 dry hard
Product Data Sheet