Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer is a 2-part, multi-use epoxy primer used to seal filler primers and fairing work before applying topcoats. This primer may be used above and below the waterline and can be applied by spray, brush, or roller.
- Can be used to seal filler primers and fairing work before applying topcoats
- Gives an ideal undercoat for all Awlgrip topcoats
- Fast overcoating times
- Two component epoxy primer
- Corrosion and adhesion properties for steel, aluminum, wood, and fiberglass substrates
- May be applied by spray, brush, or roller
- May be used above or below the waterline
- Type: Epoxy polyamide
- Theoretical Coverage (Sq. Feet/Gallon)
- 298 sq. ft. at one mil dry
- 198-496 sq. ft. at recommended dry film thickness
- Calculated for mixed base and converter reduced 50%
- Coverage calculations are based on theoretical transfer efficiency of 100%
- Actual coverage rate obtained will vary according to equipment choice, application techniques, part size, and environment
- Recommended Wet Film Thickness: 7-10 mils (175-250 microns)
- Recommended Dry Film Thickness: 2-3 mils (50-75 microns)
- Application Methods: Sprayer, roller, or brush
- Number of Coats: 3
- Recoating Times:
- At 77° F / 50% R.H., minimum 2-4 hours
- Maximum window without sanding: 24 hours
- Sanding before overcoating with other products is recommended
- May be overcoated with AWLGRIP/AWLCRAFT 2000 Topcoats, 545 Epoxy Primer, High Build Epoxy Primer, AWL-QUIK Sanding Surfacer, and ULTRA-BUILD Epoxy Primer
- VOC: Gray Base - 435 g/lt or 3.6 lbs./gal. Converter 616 g/lt or 5.1 lbs./gal
- Aluminum: Sandblast or grind to 100% clean silver color or treat with Alumiprep 33 or Alodine 1201
- Steel: Sandblast/grind SSPC-SP5-85 or Sa 2 1/2
- Gelcoat/Fiberglass: Sand with 100-150 grit paper
- Wood: Smooth sand with 80-100 grit paper.
Mixing and Reduction
Spray: Mix by volume one part 545 base with one part D3001 to a smooth homogenous mixture. Reduce up to 25% with T0003. Overall mix is 1:1 1/2 by volume. Example: 8 oz. 545 base, 8 oz. D3001, 4 oz. T0006.
Brush/Roll: Reduce 5-10% with T0031. Below 75° F you may use Cold Cure Accelerator M3066 to maintain dry and cure times. Anticipated Pot life at 77° F and 50% relative humidity is 16 hours.
Spray Application: Apply smooth, wet coats to fill and cover surface profile. Two to 3 may be needed at 5 - 6.5 mils WFT yielding 2-3 mils DFT.
Brush and Roller Application: Apply 2 coats at 3-4 mils WFT yielding 1.0 - 1.5 DFT per coat. Allow 12-14 hrs. between coats. Light sanding between coats will improve appearance. For large surfaces rolling, then tipping with a brush is preferred. Do not apply paint materials to surfaces warmer than 105° F or colder than 55° F. Do not attempt to cure products at temperatures below 55° F.
Warning: Do not apply paint materials to surfaces less than 3° C or 5° F above dew point or to surfaces warmer than 41° C or 105° F. Ambient temp should be a minimum 13° C / 55° F and max 41° C or 105° F.
Note: This multi-component system is intended for experienced painters. Please read mixing and application instructions thoroughly prior to starting project to ensure best results.